Incorporating Video Game Design in the Classroom
Photography Sophia Recchia / WireImage for TIFF
Teaching Video Game Design in the Classroom Workshop I
is designed for all classroom Teachers of students in Grades 4-12
Teachers are introduced to the game design process and create a video game from scratch. Material covered will equip Teachers with the basic skills needed to incorporate Video Game Design activities in the classroom and with a variety of classroom subjects.
Projects are designed to address existing curriculum outcomes in Science, Technology, Mathematics, Language and Visual Arts.
Teaching Video Game Design in the Classroom Workshop II
for Science, Mathematics & Technology Teachers – Grades 4-12
Workshop II covers the same materials as Workshop I but at a faster pace. Additionally it focuses on an integration of Mathematical concepts and early programming skills.
Projects are designed to address existing curriculum outcomes in Science, Technology and Mathematics from an art-based perspective, fostering creative problem solving.
Overview of Workshops I and II
These two-day Workshops are led by two Artech Academy Instructors – Maximum 12 Participants
Teachers will be introduced to the Next Generation Learning Systems™ (NGL Systems™). They will be introduced to the fundamentals of video game design and make a game from scratch. Projects are designed to address existing curriculum outcomes in science, technology, mathematics, language and visual arts.
Topics covered will include:
- Overview of the Next Generation Learning Systems™
- An in-depth introduction to working in the Gamemaker environment
- Introduction to Game Design terminology and theories
- Exploration of basic programming concepts
- Integration with curriculum
Working individually and in teams, workshop participants will look at the various stages of game development from concept and design through development, testing and deployment.
Participants should have basic computer literacy. No Game Design or Computer Programming experience is required. A laptop computer is necessary.
Workshop participants leave with:
- A practical approach to incorporating Video Game design in the classroom
- A collection of demo games linked to various subject areas.
- A video game that they created!
- Access to a network of like minded professionals that they can build upon!
Follow Up Workshops
- Follow up and custom workshops available by request
- Advanced workshops on a variety of topics
TWO-DAY – 12 PERSON WORKSHOP Group price: $4800 US for entire group of 12 workshop participants (this is $400 per participant!)
Additionally the Host organization is also responsible for arranging the workshop venue and for covering the travel expenses for two Artech instructors. These include round-trip airfare from Montreal (if needed), hotel rooms, meals and ground transportation.